Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mothers' Day?

Happy mothers' day!

As much as it feels nice to acknowledge the role that mothers play and to say a thank you for all the sacrifices they have made for us, I can't help feeling that this message has become somewhat lost.

I remember (and this was not that long ago) when some flowers or a card to my mother was all that was expected and, most importantly, it told my mother that I care and that I appreciate her.

This year I cannot make it to see my own mother. Instead two mothers to whom I am barely related have organized a dinner, to which attendance is obligatory. Flowers are now considered cheap so actual presents must be brought. A card is woefully inadequate.

I don't even like these women but unless I spend a minimum of $20 each I am apparently committing some kind of sin.

What happened?

Since every TV ad break for the last two weeks has urged me to by a present for any woman I may have ever met who has managed to push out a little one, the answer is not hard to find.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm stingy. But surely I'm not the only one who finds it a little galling when marketing executives 'decide' what an acceptable gift is, when everyone around me laps it up like a cat at a milk bowl, and I end up being considered mean for not joining in the spending frenzy.

We celebrated Administrative Professionals day at work a couple of weeks ago! Where did that one come from? More importantly, where will it end? Janitors Day is later in the summer I believe, while Burger King staff-member day comes in the fall this year. Lawyers day had to be pushed back a week because it clashed with refuse-collector day; both, of course, fall within Hemorrhoid Awareness month.

It won't be long, I can feel it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home